Friday, August 16, 2013

Semi-Anno Steampunk Progress Report

I've been absent from the blog for quite a while; not that anybody will have noticed yet. I understand that it takes a LONG time for a blog to end up on any reading lists... that's okay. Really, I'm using it as a classic web-log for myself in my year-long (or more) immersion in all things Steampunk.

So where have I been and WTH have I been doing? Reading and working. I'm a full-time seller on eBay, work consists of shopping, listing & shipping. I like what I do but it's a giant time suck.

Were does Steampunk fit into that? I LOVE Victorian & Edwardian clothing and am thrilled when I find it. I don't get to keep it but savor it until it sells. I'll post a photo of the 1850s Victorian dress I sold in June when I get a chance.

I attended GearCon in Portland in July. That was fun even though I felt so under-dressed in street clothes. I've got to get started on my wardrobe before the next Con. Oh yeah, Abney Park was AWESOME!!

The other thing is this... I used to be an avid reader and missed it. Starting this past January, I started reading steampunk lit- classics & new stuff. Here's what I've read so far-

  • Morlock Nights & Infernal Devices- both by K. W. Jeter
  • Whitechapel Gods- S. M. Peters
  • Court of the Air- Stephen Hunt
  • Anno Dracula- Kim Newman
  • The Difference Engine- William Gibson & Bruce Sterling
  • Dreadnaught- Cherie Priest

I'm in the middle of reading Anubis Gates by Tim Powers- really enjoying the book! What's next on my list? I picked up 2 of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series last week at a garage sale so they'll probably be next. But I think I'm going to take a jump back in time and read The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.

And if there's anybody out there, I'd appreciate your recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment