Monday, March 4, 2013

Wells & Verne... Neo-Victorian Bliss

Saturday is my day to wander... usually going to estate & garage sales, etc. in search of product to sell. My sister Leslie is my usual sidekick, which is great. In fact, we've been doing the estate sales route off & on for 30+ years! Good times. So when we finished working we got to play.

We're both infatuated with steampunk... books, films & especially the style. So we were super excited to discover a store in Portland's Sellwood area that sells Steampunk & Gothic clothing & accessories. Named Wells & Verne, we found it at the south end of  SE 13th Avenue, south of Tacoma St. (It's right next door to a crazy antique store replete with taxidermy specimens and the biggest crystal chandelier I've ever seen. Dead animals on the wall are not my cuppa, but whatever.) But back to W & V.

They have a nice selection of clothing that walks the fine line between Goth & Victorian-style... perfect for Steampunk. Hats, jewelry- lots of things I'd love to own, all priced very reasonably. But what I really wanted was one of the sidearms... glorious faux weapons made of repurposed bits & pieces. Once I put together a wardrobe maybe I'll indulge.

I didn't leave empty handed and neither did Les. She picked up her ticket to the Vampire Ball since they were selling them. And I bought myself a pair of earrings- a large gear with a propeller that twirls. I'm really looking forward to going back, and highly recommend the store to others in the Portland area.   




No comments:

Post a Comment